Safety & Outage Info

Stay safe around electricity and be prepared for outages!

If you are experiencing an outage, please call our ​​office at 765-569-3133 or toll free at 800-537-3913. Do NOT report your outage through our "contact us" form or Facebook. In order to most effectively respond to outages, employees are in our outage center, and do not monitor our website or social media during outages. ​

Causes of Power Outages

Storms and other severe weather conditions are the most common cause of power outages. We always try to restore service as quickly as possible when an outage occurs. If your electricity should go off, first go to your main panel to see if a fuse has blown or a breaker has tripped. If you have a meter on a pole, please check the breaker below the meter to see if it has tripped. Fuses must be replaced while breakers need only reset. If the problem is not in your main panel, call a neighbor to determine if other homes in the area have been affected. Parke County REMC is responsible for maintenance from the transformer to the meter. If the problem is not within your home's wiring or if several homes are involved, then call Parke County REMC at 800-537-3913. Our employees are here to serve you seven days a week, 24 hours a day, including holidays.

When you report an outage

Give us your name and address as it is listed on the bill or account number. If you know the cause of the outage, please describe it. (Example: a limb is on the line, a pole has been hit by a car, etc.) Informing us of the nature of the outage saves a great deal of our time and your inconvenience. It is also important that we have the correct telephone number on file for your home or business. Please update your information online, write correction on your bill payment stub, or simply call the office at 800- 537-3913.

Any time you are planning an outdoor project that includes digging, CALL 811 at least 48 hours before you dig to get free a line locate. Whether you're adding a privacy fence, expanding your deck, or building onto your home, always "know what's below." Get more info at

The Home Safety Council has shares these guidelines to help you detect, correct and prevent electrical hazards:

  • Use ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) in all bathrooms and kitchens. Arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCI) should be used in bedrooms.
  • Check GFCI's monthly to ensure they are working correctly. If a GFCI does not disconnect power when tested, contact a professional electrician.
  • Use child-safety caps on wall outlets in homes where small children are present.
  • Never use worn, frayed or damaged cords or appliances.
  • Extension cords should only be used temporarily for supplying power to electrical appliances.
  • Always use the correct wattage light bulb.
  • Keep all appliances away from water.
  • Unplug small electric appliances when not in use.
  • Do not run electric cords under rugs or carpets. This can cause overheating.
  • Make sure all electric cords are in proper working condition and are not frayed or cut. Never piggy-back extension or cords or power strips.
  • Put waterproof covers on all outdoor outlets.
  • Use only outdoor-labeled extension cords outside.
  • Make sure all outlets and switches are covered with face-plates.
  • Use only three-pronged outlets for appliances with three-pronged plugs. Never remove the grounding pin or force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
  • Replace any appliance that overheats, smokes or sparks, or causes electrical shocks.
  • Allow space around heat-producing appliances such as TV's, stereo receivers, and computers to prevent them from overheating.
  • Keep all potentially combustible items at least three feet away from all heaters.
  • Make sure all electrical equipment bears the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) label.
  • Keep children away from heat-producing appliances including space heaters, irons and hair dryers.

The following are warning signs of potential fire hazards:

  • Dim and/or flickering lights
  • Arcs and sparks
  • Sizzles and buzzes
  • Overheating-Overheated wires can give off an odor of hot insulation; switch-plates or receptacle covers are hot to the touch or discolored.
  • Electrical shocks

If you experience or notice any of these signs, call a professional electrician to inspect and correct the problem immediately.